Is the LN 101 the only method to open the serial monitor in Arduino

Hope this email finds you well.

I am using the Dynamixel shield (as picture shown) to control the AX-12A servo motors and I have both Arduino UNO and Arduino Mega 2560. I am wondering if using the LN 101 USB downloader is the only way to open the serial monitor in Arduino with the shield? Also if I use the same shield but different servo motor (XL430-W250-T), can I open the serial monitor without the USB downloader?

Another question is I saw some Youtube video published by Robotics that the serial monitor are opened by using DYNAMIXEL Shield for Arduino MKR Series, can I directly open the serial monitor without the USB downloader?

Best wishes

Hello Huiduan,

1. The LN 101 USB Downloader is the only way to access the debug serial monitor using the Arduino Shield, no matter what DYNAMIXEL servo you are using.

2. The DYNAMIXEL MKR Shield does allow access to the serial monitor without requiring an LN101.

Thank you Jonathon. That is really helpful!

Hi Jonathon,

Hope this massage finds you well.

I have one more relative question which is the motor connection by using OpenRB-150 board. I would like to ask that if I can access the serial monitor directly with the OpenRB-150 board. Also, if there any other additional board required by the usage of OpenRB-150 board?

Best

Huiduan,

You can access the serial monitor for the OpenRB-150 without any additional hardware, and no additional boards are required for the OpenRB to function with DYNAMIXEL actuators.