Setting Homing Offset in Dynamixel Wizard 2.0

ROBOTIS Software

Dynamixel Wizard 2.0

Control Environment

Ubunto, ROS

Software Description

Just trying to set the Homing Offset using Dynamixel Wizard 2.0

Issue Description

I am trying to set the Homing Offset for the 5 motor on my “Open Manipulator-X” by positioning my robot arm in the intended home position and guessing the encoder counts, hitting save, and watching the “actual” angle change and approach the “position” angle as seen in the motor status window. 2 out of the 5 motors i can do this just fine. For the other 3 motors, the “position” reading out the robot arm’s actual position changes after i hit save. Why would the robot’s actual arm position change when i change the homing offset? Why would this only happen to 3 of the 2 motors?
Link to my robot arm: Open Source Robots - OpenMANIPULATOR-X - ROBOTIS

Additional Information/Attachments

I’m not 100% sure that I’m understanding your explanation of what you’re doing, but it sounds like you are attempting to use the homing offset setting to get your OpenMANIPULATOR to move to a particular position on power on?

If that is the case, then this isn’t the intended use of the homing offset setting. The homing offset is used to adjust the actuator’s 0 position by adding or subtracting the offset from the actuator’s current position.

If you would like to have your manipulator move to a defined position on startup, the best way to do so would be to program your controller of choice to send your desired startup position as soon as the controller powers on/is activated.

If I misunderstood your intent for this question, could you please clarify what you are trying to achieve? I would be happy to help, but I’m not sure I understood exactly what you are asking to do.