5-DOF Robot Arm using XL330 Micro Servos!

Hello roboticists! I have another great video today to share, courtesy of YouTuber Dan Slovich. This project incorporates the new ROBOTIS XL330 models- the smallest, most-capable micro-servos ROBOTIS has offered to date as part of the DYNAMIXEL X-series. These servos are a departure from the standard models of DYNAMIXELs due to their extremely small size, and low-voltage operation (3.7-6.0V). More information on XL330 models can be found here, but for now let’s check out this project!

I really found this to be an impressive project due to the high-quality design and smooth integration of the DYNAMIXELs within the arm joints. You can really see the impressive design once the arm starts moving- the profile of the lower link is especially fascinating because at certain angles, it almost disappears as the light reflects off of it.

Even more impressively, Dan has released all the resources for this project publicly for anyone to build their own arm- see the GitHub for the project below which includes code and 3D files!

I can’t wait to see what else the arm can be used for!

2 Likes