AX-12A bricked after changing baudrate

Hi Folks,

I just bought a new dynamixel ax-12a with dynamixel shield for arduino,
It was working well (ping, led, moving the actuator) until I tried to change the baudrate from 1Mbps to 57600 using example program from Robotis (Dynamixel2Arduino),
Now it’s not working , even just a simple “ping” program,

Any suggestion?

1 Like

By any chance, you should’ve changed the baudrates of DYNAMIXEL as well, not just change the code line. The bps at the comm bus should be the same.

Sol: Use baudrate.ino from DynamixelShield library, and change the baudrate of DYNAMIXEL.

Thank you for your reply, but.
I did change the baudrate using the baudrate.ino and thats the cause why I can not scan my dxl.
The bps at the com bus also matched.

Throw me your example code.

Just got my u2d2 today and firmware recovered, everything back to normal. Thanks

2 Likes

Good to know the issue is resolved.

For your future reference, be aware that Firmware Recovery will return your DYNAMIXEL state to its factory configuration including Baudrates and IDs. The common mistake the users are not aware of, they are missing the Baudrates and ID that should be set as it should be before which will cause the unmatched bps and overlapping IDs and this eventually make comm error.

Hope you enjoy your project and please share your project and related experience in this community like me as the community user.

How can I solve this problem without u2d2 ?
Can someone help me?

Which Arduino controller are you using?

arduino nano, I get it on debug softwareserial D7-D8

Is it possible to return to factory settings without knowing the ID and baudrate? Do you have sample code?

In that case, have you tried the ROBOTIS example sketches scan_dynamixel or baudrate? The ID may just have been reset to 1 also.

If these sketches don’t work, you may need to get the U2D2 and use Dynamixel Wizard to have a closer look at your AX-12A.

baudrate, I tried it, I thought I set it to baudrate 57600, but when I wanted to connect later, I couldn’t connect. Then I checked scan_dynamixel, but the AX-12A was not recognized. There is no connection problem, because when I plug in another AX-12A, it recognizes that AX-12A.
Can I reset it to factory settings without ID and Baudrate?

The only way to reset it to factory settings is via U2D2 or some other Robotis controller like the CM-530.

Can I connect uart ch340 to ax12a and talk to wizard if there is full duplex?

I have never tried that option. The AX-12 needs half-duplex.

I added a ttl with auto tx enable circuit to my half duplex circuit and communicated with the motors with the ch340 driver without the need for u2d2. You can communicate with the ch340 driver by creating the ttl with auto tx enable circuit in the OPENRB-150 circuit datasheet. (I tried AX-12A) (ch340rx-TTLtxD,ch340gnd-gnd,ch340tx-TTLrxD)