Computing MX-series motor power consumption

I am working on a project where we want to design a battery for our customized robot that uses MX-28 and MX-64 Dynamixel motors. I have found the operating specifications from the manual site but would like to know what is the best method to find the “average” power consumption so that a battery capacity can be determined. For simplicity, we state that the robot should operate for one hour. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

The performance graphs available on the eManual pages for the actuators show the expected current draw for the motor at a given output.

You can use these charts to estimate the overall power draw for your system, depending on the load that you expect to see in your use case.

1 Like

Can these be generated dynamically? Perhaps a bit of code I can write to monitor as the robot as it operates and utilizes the motors for various poses?

You can certainly monitor the current draw of your assembly by reading out the Present Current control table item, and use that to log the power usage during operation.

The specifics of how to read this depend on the control interface you are using for this project.

Thank you. I will give that a try.