Dynamixel Channel (Address 16) of Control Table for OpenCM 9.04

@Yogurt_Man, @willson
It has been several years that I had used the OpenCM9.04+485_EXP combo, so I was quite surprised to see MANAGER reporting new possible settings for Address 16:

And I had checked the e-manual information for OpenCM9.04’s Control Table but there is not much detail given for Address 16 currently (more work for you there :wink:).

Can you help with further clarifications for my questions below:

1. Dynamixel Channel used to mean switching between Serial1 and Serial3 COM Ports only, does it also switch Packet Protocol (1 or 2) nowadays? Can I still use AX-12 on either the 904 board or EXP board? But inside TASK I would have to use CUSTOM statements directly to DXL ID of AX-12? (see picture below which seems to not offer any option for AX type of DXL?). In short, what are the effects/ramifications of setting Address 16 nowadays?

2. The old OPENCM IDE used to let me switch Serial1 or Serial3 and DXL packet protocols 1 or 2 on the fly in a Sketch. Can the current Arduino IDE let me do similar jobs?

Thank you so very much.

@Yogurt_Man, @willson
Never mind, today I have found that the “Dynamixel Channel” information is listed on the e-manual web page for 495-EXP instead (OpenCM 485 EXP). When y’all get the chance, can ROBOTIS set up a “cross-link” on the e-manual web page for OpenCM-904 also (OpenCM 9.04) to better inform the users?

Regarding the AX-12 issue, through my own recent tests, I now know for sure that AX-12 is not recognized by the current MANAGER V.2 and the OpenCM-904, although it is physically connected to the 485-EXP board. It looks like that only X-series actuators are supported with the OpenCM-904 nowadays! When did that get changed? Am I the only one “OLD” enough to remember those days? :grinning:.

BTW, the e-manual web page for 485-EXP (OpenCM 485 EXP) still shows an AX-12 being used (see picture below).

When y’all get the chance, please update that picture too with an X-series servo along with a 3P-to-3XP convertible cable.

Please consider this topic closed!

2 Likes

@roboteer

Hello roboteer,

Thank you for pointing out the inconvenience. The cross link at the OpenCM 9.04 e-Manual page will be considered to add as well as X series compatibility with 485 EXP board via the convertible cable. Thank you again,

1 Like

Hello @roboteer

Regarding the AX-12 issue, through my own recent tests, I now know for sure that AX-12 is not recognized by the current MANAGER V.2 and the OpenCM-904, although it is physically connected to the 485-EXP board. It looks like that only X-series actuators are supported with the OpenCM-904 nowadays! When did that get changed? Am I the only one “OLD” enough to remember those days? :grinning:.

I also tested my OpenCM 9.04 + 485 Exp board, and it seems that the R+Manager does not scan the Protocol 1.0 DYNAMIXEL but Protocol 2.0 only. But when I tested Arduino environment, the all Protocol 1.0 products worked properly.

Not sure this is intended policy for Task environment. OpenCM Engineer should look into it.

============

@roboteer

I reconfirmed the R+Manager 2.0 only supports the product with Protocol 2.0 only, therefore scanning the Protocol 2.0 products may not be supportable currently. Probably you can scan AX series through Dynamixel Wizard 1.0

@Yogurt_Man
Thank you for reconfirming my findings with MANAGER 2.
I just check with MANAGER 1 and it only supports up to Firmware V. 21 for my current OpenCM-904 which is on V. 23, so MANAGER 1 did not recognize my current setup.

But as you suggested, I can confirm that the current Dynamixel Wizard 1 (V. 1.0.19.25) can see the AX-12A (even with my current setup as described above).

It even “sees” the 2XL-430s (ID = 11 and 12).

Thank you very much for your help here. But this is only to prepare the ground work for my next project about how much of the deprecated OpenCM IDE features can I use for my current “up-to-date” setup for OpenCM-904 and 485-EXP. I will be using XL-320 and XL-330 on the 904, and 2XL430 and AX12A on the 485-EXP.

1 Like

Hi @roboteer

Honestly, not sure OpenCM IDE is really supporting the most latest DYNAMIXEL in that deprecated software. As far as I know, to support the DYNAMIXEL in software, it should have its database such as model number to identify a model. Otherwise, I personally assume that you are seeing “Unknown” or DYNAMIXEL may not work.

I highly recommend using Arduino environment.

@Yogurt_Man
“2017” was the last time that I used Open904 (with XL320) + 485-EXP (with AX-12) and the old OpenCM IDE, and the OpenCM IDE at that time allowed to switch DXL protocol 1 and 2 on the fly + Serial1 and Serial3 on the fly, see this YouTube Video:

And the accessing functions were very DXL-SDK style so maybe there is a chance. I am waiting on ROBOTIS-USA to deliver my set of 3P-XL320 to X3P convertible cable and then I can start my “experiments” with the current Hardware and Firmware! So in my viewpoint, “negative” results will still be useful, or at least “documented”!