Issue with Turtlebot3_waffle_pi SLAM: "Warning no map received"

Use the following template to help create your post:

1. What model of TurtleBot3 are you using?

waffle_pi

1. Describe your control environment. This includes the PC you are using to control TurtleBot3 (operating system & version) and any power source.

Ubuntu 16.4.7

1. Describe any modifications or third-party hardware in use.

None

1. Include pictures if possible.

1. Include a full description of the issue.

I recently purchased the Turtlebot3 Waffle Pi and followed the steps outlined in the Quick Start Guide and through section 4.1 of the SLAM section of the Turtlebot3 ROBOTIS E-Manuel (TurtleBot3). However, I’ve run into an issue with SLAM… it gives me a warning stating “no map received” (there is a photo below) and the robot does not register its surroundings with the LIDAR.

I’ve attempted running three other SLAM methods, including Hector, Karto and Frontier Exploration and the corresponding photos are included below. I can remote navigate the robot and attempted to with all four methods to no avail.

I’m running ROS Kinetic on Ubuntu16.4.7.

Please let me know if you need any more information, but any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Hi @jnoonan217

I’m sorry about the delayed response.
First of all, make sure to sync the time between the PC and the Raspberry Pi of the TurtleBot3 with the instructions below.

When the time between the PC and the RPi doesn’t match, messages between them could be ignored.

Secondly, please check each packages are correctly configured to kinetic version.
I’d recommend to check if all packages under the ~/catkin_ws/src are correctly set to kinetic-devel branch.
For example, perform below and see if the repository is using kinetic-devel branch

$ cd ~/catkin_ws/src/turtlebot3
$ git status

You should get something like below.

On branch kinetic-devel
Your branch is up to date with 'origin/kinetic-devel'.

Thanks!