OpenRB-150 no longer recognises Dynamixel XM430-W530:

Below are the results of my tests with my OpenRB-150 (QC code is also 2234), regarding the sketch usb_to_dynamixel:

• Normally my Windows11 PC sees this OpenRB-150 as COM6, and I can download this sketch fine and then use Dynamixel Wizard 2 on it fine.

USB2DXL_2_1_1_COM_6

• When I put my 150 into Boot Loader mode, my PC sees it connected to COM13

and I can download this sketch also fine via COM13. However I did not see the kind of output messages shown below in your MP4 file - although they are shown on mine. Note the last two messages shown below.

Maybe you should uninstall your Arduino IDE completely and make sure that you delete the ARDUINO folder under your "Documents’ folder too, and then re-install the latest ARDUINO IDE 2.1.1 and reinstall the 150 board and D2A library to see if all that helps. If not, it may be time to get a new OpenRB-150.

Thank you again for all your ideas and suggestions. I am confident that many others who have a similar problem will find a solution here. Although unfortunately my specific problem could not be solved. But my new OpenRB-150 board arrived today and is working fine.

I suspect that the problem is firmware related and I am confident that I could solve it if the bootloader mode worked. If I find a solution to this problem, I will definitely post it here.

Ask Robotis to see if they are interested in getting the old 150 back. They have more resources than end users to figure out the possible issues.

Another thought. Can you use Windows Device Manager and remove all the hidden COM ports associated with the old 150 and then plug the old 150 in again to the PC? Maybe a fresh COM driver install will clear the issues with the old 150?

It is a good consideration to contact Robotis. Where would be the best place to contact? I am located in Germany.

Maybe I will give it a try at the weekend, but unfortunately I have doubts that this will help. After the problem occurred, I also tried the board on other PCs that never had an OpenRB-150 board connected to them before, and still the problem occurred again.

For contact with Robotis to do RMA @Jonathon is your best contact. Do you want it fixed or just returned to Robotis for investigation?

See this post for different RMA options

It would be enough for me if someone would take a look at it. It seems that the board works fine, but the motors are not recognised. I think it would be a shame if it just sat in your drawer without being used. I think it’s no problem for a professional to solve the problem and I would also like to know what the exact problem is and how it can be solved.

Small update: It turns out that the problem was not related to me trying to upload a Simulink code because the new board is not working today either. Yesterday everything ran smoothly and I only used the Arduino IDE. Today the board no longer recognises the motor, although everything else works just as well as with the old board.
I have no idea what I’m doing wrong.
Since I don’t want to buy an OpenRB-150 for the third time, would you perhaps know what alternative I could consider instead?

1 Like

As you have U2D2, you can also hook it to the same DXLs and monitor/ping them that way via Dxl Wizard, while the DXLs are powered via the 150. In the past, that procedure woke up the DXLs for me.
BTW you can even put usb_to_Dynamixel on the 150 at the same time and then use Dxl Wizard to scan both COM ports (150 and U2D2). This procedure had worked for me.
You also checked all the dxl cables right? Can you check integrity of the Dxl pins on the 150 also.

I don’t quite understand how to connect U2D2 and 150 and where exactly the motor is connected.

Maybe you could send me a picture or video of the experiment.

Thank you very much.

Each motor has 2 Dxl connectors. You can use one to connect to the U2D2 which is then connected to the PC first USB COM port. The other dxl connector goes onto the RB-150 dxl connector as normal and then the 150 is connected to the second USB COM port on your PC. I am assuming that you are putting the power jumper on the VIN DXL position. Then you can use Dynamixel Wizard to scan both COM ports.

Thank you for the precise explanation. Everything worked smoothly. It is indeed possible to power the U2D2 board both with the 150 board via the motor and vice versa. However, I found that the motor is only recognised when I use the COM port of the U2D2. As soon as I remove the U2D2, no connection can be made to the motor. This is really crazy.

1 Like

To be exact the U2D2 does not power the motor it only enables the DATA line 5V TTL so that it can communicate with the motor. The 150 is the one that actually provides the proper voltage 12v to activate the motor.

Did you retest your old 150 with this setup too?

If your system works ok only when used with U2D2 then I suspect a grounding issue. Make sure that your PC and the power supply used to power the 150 are on the same ground. Maybe changing your 150’s USB cable or switch its connection to the USB port that works with U2D2 would help?

1 Like

I have already tried different power sources, USB cables, PCs and all DXL pins. In addition, I have measured the voltage at the DXL pins and found a voltage of 12 volts everywhere. It is incomprehensible to me what the problem could be. It is even stranger that I have the same problem with two different boards. I have no idea whatsoever what the problem could be. It’s really strange that no one else has the same problem, while I’m experiencing it twice.

Yes. That is very odd. Can you manage to keep U2D2 in the system?

Unfortunately, it is not possible to run my system exclusively with my PC. I definitely need a microcontroller, so the U2D2 is not suitable for me.

Instead, I got myself an Arduino Shield:Dynamixel Shield for Arduino UNO/MEGA

Although it is not the optimal solution, as I need an additional Arduino Uno or Mega, but I hope that I can use it to control my motors.

@Marcel

In a previous project, I had to power the DXLs separately at 12 V and the OpenRB-150 at 5V - see this post:

I don’t know if this solution is going to enable you to use the OpenRB-150 once again or not. Good Luck to you.

Unfortunately, it doesn’t work either. Nevertheless, thanks for all the suggestions.

1 Like

Hi Marcel, I also have 2 OpenRB-150 boards that no longer recognize my servos.
I used the board to control 2 XM430-W350. It all worked fine, until suddenly it didn’t.
I have the feeling that it stopped working after I was moving the servo’s by hand - could it be that the energy that this big servos create and send back into the OpenRB fried the board somehow? I can connect and program the board (blink-test), but the connection to the servos is lost.

Yes, that sounds exactly like me. I don’t think it’s because you turned the motors by hand. I sent my 2 openRB to the company and they said it was a short circuit issue.
I can’t prove anything and don’t want to imply anything, but I don’t think I did anything wrong with the board, but maybe it’s a production error. I then decided to build my project with an Arduino Mega and the Dynamixel Shield and haven’t had a problem since.

Hi, please can I ask in this case how can I reupload the USB2DYNAMIXEL to OpenRB-150?