Software Installations

I’m considering purchasing a TurtleBot 3 and have read through the assemble and software installations instructions. Occasionally, I run into software that has been update, such as Python, that isn’t compatible with the programs written on an older version of the software. if I follow the software installation instructions, will there we any problems? It appears that the instructions were written in 2017, and a lot has changed since. I’m new to ROS, so I don’t need any additional hurdles.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Chuck

I hope they do Fix this issue. I believe in the second Quarter of next year a updated book will be out as there are like 5 flavors of ros and ros2 so some migration issues to deal with right now.(I could be wrong) maybe will can say something?

I’ve done all the steps of flashing the SD card and all the setup, successfully up to the point of needing the hardware in order to do OpenCR Setup. This is better than some other projects I’ve done.

Chuck

Hi,
Some of the application examples that are heavily dependent on a 3rd party package could be deprecated, but we’re regularly updating the source codes to support the latest changes.
We’re also expecting a new ROS2 Galactic in May 2021 with some significant changes. :slight_smile:

Will,

The manual says to use Ubuntu 16.04, can we use Ubuntu 20.04, which is the version I have?

Chuck

Check out there Web page, they have six different configurations, and one for RO1 and ROS2 on 20.04. :grinning:

@chuck75,
There are buttons to switch the manual contains based on your selection.
For ROS 1 + Ubuntu 20.04, select Noetic, and select Foxy for ROS 2 + Ubuntu 20.04.
Please note that some of the examples are only available with Ubuntu 16.04 + Kinetic due to 3rd party package dependency.
Happy New Year! :slight_smile:

Will,

Thanks for the info.

Chuck,