Torque sensor on Dynamixel XM series

Does the Dynamixel XM430 – W210 – R have an incorporated torque sensor?
And the Dynamixel XM540-W150-R ?

If yes how much accurate is it?
If not where can I find one?

I need the motors for actuating a four-link manipulator and control it with ROS, what is the most effective way (all the electronics needed) to connect the dynamixel to Raspberry Pi?
Each link should be self-powered, so I also need information about the batteries for Raspberry Pi and for the motor.

Hello @syntarsus, thank you for your question and welcome to the Community page. I should be able to provide some basic information to help you get started:

1. Specific torque sensors are not currently included in models of DYNAMIXEL including those models you’ve mentioned, however DYNAMIXELs are able to communicate an approximation of the torque applied by reading the Present Current feedback available from the DYNAMIXEL.

2. The majority of models of DYNAMIXEL feature a Torque/Speed Performance graph available through their respective manual page for each model in the online manual- emanual.robotis.com. You can use the performance graph to approximate the torque applied per reported current reading from the servo.

3. For tutorials on the best ways to use DYNAMIXELs, such as with Raspberry Pi, I would recommend checking out our Getting Started category which includes the sub-category Quick Start and Tutorials.

4. Regarding the specific torque sensor, unfortunately I can not provide a specific recommendation as ROBOTIS does not produce any general-purpose torque sensors. You will need to source this based on the requirements of your design.

5. The same can be said for the batteries- while ROBOTIS sells some replacement batteries intended for our kit products, I’m not able to provide a specific battery recommendation for this custom project aside from the general advice of making sure to match the voltage of your battery to your DYNAMIXELs.

6. You will need to approximate the current draw of your system based on the torque you expect to use, as well as current requirements of additional electronics, and then compare this to the specifications of batteries you consider. For further elaboration on this I would recommend searching for general resources on understanding battery capacity and the current draw of systems. This reference article from Adafruit might be a good place to get started on this topic.

Let me know if you have any additional questions based on the above and I’ll be glad to elaborate.

1 Like