Turtlebot3 RemotePC and SBC Install for Ubuntu 20.04/ROS Noetic

Successfully did the recently posted eManual Install for Noetic for a Raspberry4B/4GB SBC and Linux Laptop RemotePC. Thank you and look forward to updating and running my original Kinetic Turtlebot3. SBC install perfect! For RemotePC from Ubuntu repository - 2 Comments 1: Suggest adding “sudo apt install curl” near the beginning of the script as that package was not included, 2. Its not possible to install a Wiimote Package due unavailable dependencies. Keyboard, PS3 and 4 Teleop work well. Additional suggestion is to include installing and enabling avahi-daemon on the RemotePC and SBC to use host names in the .bashrc instead of numeric IP addresses.

1 Like

Hi @red24dog
Thank you for your feedback and glad to hear that you were successfully upgraded with RPi4.
I’ll make sure to include the curl installing command in the beginning.
Noetic is still somewhat limited compare to the prosperous Kinetic in terms of supported packages, but hope these will be updated and supported.
Although I may not be able to introduce all those amazing packages that makes our lives much easier, this thread will be a very good reference and resource.
I’ll try the avahi-daemon on my TB3 so that I don’t need to write down the IP address.

I should add that I successfully provisioned the Raspicamera with your new cv_camera package. Good operability. Presume we should ignore the references to the original raspicam package instructions in the eManual? I will be integrating the new R4/4GB withe the chassis and OpenCR, snd try Autorace2000

Hi @red24dog

Thank you for the updates!
The eManual also has been updated with Noetic version, so please make sure to select the Noetic at the top to switch the correct instructions.
Since all the necessary packages for operating the Raspi cam is included in the Raspberry Pi recovery image, you are now free from the hassle of setting up the various libraries :slight_smile:

Following up on a recent (2022-02-08) discourse.ros.org post regarding the listing of a release of a Foxy update for the Wiimote Controller, I investigated the repository and discovered the Noetic version that did not work for me in Sep/21, now I successfully installed the dependancies & Wimote package (using Debian ros-noetic-wiimote and compiling the source-both work). Presumably the previously missing dependencies were released to UB20 Focal which supports both wiimote for Ros Noetic & Ros Foxy. Regarding Foxy, there still is an issue with using Wiimote as the Debian released Foxy code installed version does not Publish /cmd_vel, thus unusable for teleop. However the foxy-devel branch executables code on the joystick_drivers/Wiimote github.com is nearly identical to Noetic branch which should now support Wiimote.