Firmware Update for XC330 using Dynamixel Shield for Arduino MKR?

DYNAMIXEL Actuator

XC330-T181-T (V46 firmware)

Issue Description

I am trying to update the firmware on my XC330 motors (from V46 to V50) using Dynamixel Wizard 2.0.

I have an Arduino MKR Zero with Dynamixel Shield for Arduino MKR and was wondering if it is possible to perform a firmware update using this controller, or if I need to use a different setup (e.g. U2D2 + SMPS2Dynamixel).

I found several examples for USB passthrough to make Arduino + Dynamixel Wizard 2.0 work together, e.g.:

OpenCR github repo (usb_to_dxl.ino)

OpenRB-150 github repo (usb_to_dynamixel.ino)

Dynamixel2Arduino github repo (partial implementation: add_custom_SerialPortHandler.ino)

I ā€˜wroteā€™ a minimum working example based on the three code samples above:

#include <DynamixelShield.h>

#define COMPUTER_USB Serial
#define DXL_PACKET_BUFFER_LENGTH  1024

uint8_t packet_buffer[DXL_PACKET_BUFFER_LENGTH];
unsigned long led_update_time = 0;

DynamixelShield dxl;

void setup() {
  // put your setup code here, to run once:
  // set USB connection for communication with Dynamixel Wizard 2.0
  COMPUTER_USB.begin(57600);

// set DXL direction pin to baseline
  digitalWrite(DXL_DIR_PIN, LOW);
  while(digitalRead(DXL_DIR_PIN) != LOW);

// Set Port baudrate to 57600bps. This has to match with DYNAMIXEL baudrate.
  dxl.begin(57600);
}

void loop() {
  // put your main code here, to run repeatedly:
  dataTransceiver();
}

void dataTransceiver()
{
  int length = 0;
  int i = 0;

// USB -> DXL (set dxl direction pin high during TX to dxl)
  length = COMPUTER_USB.available();
  if( length > 0 )
  {
    digitalWrite(DXL_DIR_PIN, HIGH);
    while(digitalRead(DXL_DIR_PIN) != HIGH);
    for(i = 0; i < length; i++)
    {
      DXL_SERIAL.write(COMPUTER_USB.read());
    }
    DXL_SERIAL.flush();
  }

// DXL -> USB
  length = DXL_SERIAL.available();
  if( length > 0 )
  {
    if( length > DXL_PACKET_BUFFER_LENGTH )
    {
      length = DXL_PACKET_BUFFER_LENGTH;
    }
    {
      packet_buffer[i] = DXL_SERIAL.read();
    }
    COMPUTER_USB.write(packet_buffer, length);
  }
}

This works fine to receive data from the XC330 and modify the control table (screenshot example):

Unfortunately, the firmware update gets stuck at the following screen:

I tried the ā€˜Recoveryā€™ option but it gets stuck here (to ā€˜turn off powerā€™ I am just unplugging the 12V SMPS, and then plugging it in a few seconds later, because the DynamixelShield for MKR doesnā€™t have a power switch):
stuck_recovery_mode

Any advice is appreciated! If there is a reason this wonā€™t be possible, I can just buy the separate U2D2 + SMPS2Dynamixel, but it seems so close to actually working. At least, I hope this can help anyone trying to get the Dynamixel Wizard 2.0 working with DynamixelShield.

One thing I noticed is that the code example from OpenCR has:

drv_dxl_tx_enable(TRUE);
    for(i=0; i<length; i++ )
    {
      DXL_PORT.write(CMD_PORT.read());
      DXL_PORT.flush();
    }
    drv_dxl_tx_enable(FALSE);

While my example has:

digitalWrite(DXL_DIR_PIN, HIGH);
    while(digitalRead(DXL_DIR_PIN) != HIGH);
    {
      DXL_SERIAL.write(COMPUTER_USB.read());
    }
    DXL_SERIAL.flush();

Because putting DXL_SERIAL.flush() inside the for loop made most writes to DXL fail (for example, ping and reboot worked, but writing to control table or turning torque on did not).

So maybe I am missing something else with the buffering/serial reading/flushing to allow for the (larger?) firmware communication to occur. Or, the implementation is too slow reading one byte at a time and the buffer fills up? Or, there is some other limitation related to firmware updates Iā€™m unaware of.

Thank you for reading!

1 Like

When you get the step requesting a reset of the DYNAMIXEL, can you try unplugging and replugging the DYNAMIXEL itself into the MKR Shield? Itā€™s possible the reset of the full arduino board is causing that hang that you are seeing during the firmware reset.

As for the flush inside/outside the loop, it makes more sense to me to keep it outside as you do in your example, since it doesnā€™t make sense to me to flush serial console a bunch of times during a send, but Iā€™ll admit that Iā€™m not super familiar with the intricacies of sending raw serial data like this. If trying the different reboot strategy doesnā€™t work I can reach out to some experts who might have more insight into this process.

1 Like

@Jonathon @efun

I can confirm that efunā€™s code works on my MKR ZERO and XL-330-M288, and it can do Firmware Recovery also if I used the power on/off technique described by jonathon. However, it also looks like that it can only do Firmware Recovery at 57.6 Kbps.

Thank you for sharing!

Huh, I was planning on trying an XL330-288T I had lying around, just in case it had something to do with the XC330.

Before I did that, I tried again with the XC330 and it justā€¦ updated firmware immediately without an issue when I clicked the ā€œUpdateā€ button :exploding_head:

I did find that my XC330 motors have high idle temperature as noted by another user. When I started them up and did firmware update, they were at 45C, a few minutes later theyā€™re at 57C. If thereā€™s any chance the temperature would affect the firmware updateā€¦ :sweat_smile:

Anyway, Iā€™ll mark this as solved, and glad I could get the firmware update working with my setup!

As a follow-up, I also got Dynamixel Wizard 2.0 (somewhat) working with Portenta H7.

From my code sample in my original post, I added at the top:

// [...]
const uint32_t GLOBAL_BAUDRATE = 57600;
unsigned int mbedTXdelayus = round(24000000 / GLOBAL_BAUDRATE); // added this line
// [...]

Because the serial handler for Mbed Arduinos like Portenta H7 required some modifications (see the github issue here, for example).

And after the serial flush, adding the delay:

// [...]
    DXL_SERIAL.flush();
    #if defined(ARDUINO_ARCH_MBED)        // these
      delayMicroseconds(mbedTXdelayus);   // lines
    #endif                                // added
    // [...]

After these fixes, the scan/ping in Dynamixel Wizard 2.0 still didnā€™t work. However, when I did a manual ping from Python (using ping.py taken from Dynamixel SDK python):

ā€¦ suddenly I was able to Scan/Ping from Dynamixel Wizard 2.0!!

Iā€™m really not sure why the manual ping is required. I went back and removed the Mbed-specific parts of code and I couldnā€™t even manually ping from Python, so the delayMicroseconds(mbedTXdelayus) is definitely required. It isnā€™t the "succeeded to change the baudrate" part, because I can remove that from ping.py and it works fine.

One weird thing with Dynamixel Wizard is that when I start from a fresh connection (unplug->plug USB cable), I cannot ā€˜Sendā€™ a packet:

On the MKR Zero example, I could always click Send and it would list the packet at the top (first line), but not receive any response (when usb_to_dynamixel.ino wasnā€™t working - no second line).

After ping from Python, I get both lines:

So something wonky is going on, would be curious if anyone can figure it out! But itā€™s functional for now :sweat_smile:

1 Like

So far I cannot use methods scan or ping with the Current Dynamixel2Arduino library with any controller OpenRB-150, MKR Zero or Portenta H7 also. But the other methods such as goal position and goal velocity work fine. So I just donā€™t use scan or ping in my work.