Robotis Engineer Kit 1, Dr.R, 2XL430-W250-T of ID12 is bliking red on connect

Issue:

When R+ENGINEER app is connected to Robotis Engineer Kit 1, Dr.R, 2XL430-W250-T of ID12 is bliking red on connect and on run. Moreover, when “Motor” mode is chosen, all but ID12 is moving slightly - this is the only one that stays still.

DYNAMIXEL Servo:

LIST ALL DYNAMIXEL SERVOS USED IN THIS PROJECT

DYNAMIXEL Controller:

LIST ALL DYNAMIXEL CONTROLLERS USED IN THIS PROJECT

Software Interface:

LIST ALL SOFTWARE INTERFACES USED IN THIS PROJECT

All Actuators should only blink red once when first powered on only. When they are run and the LED is red that is a sign of trouble. You can run Manager tool to troubleshoot one actuator at a time and see.

You can also use the Motion sub tool from Task v3 app and troubleshoot also

2XL430-W250 Hardware Error Status 0
CM-550-Error Code 0

I also have R+Task 3.0 installed but can’t find “Motion sub tool” - there is “Montion Unit” but I can’t find any diagnostic tool there.

Unfortunately, I did not mean that there is a magic “Diagnostic” button that will solve all problems for you. I meant that you can get to Manager and then specifically to ID=12 and tries a few Goal Position values and see if this DXL responded properly with no Error Message >> then you know that DXL 12 is working OK - like my DXL #12 in the picture below:

From your own screen capture, it looks like that your DXL #12 is working fine too - so this is getting difficult to diagnose what is going on in reality. It looks like it was happening at run time only, when your program was making Dr. R move DXL #12?

Let’s try this:
Do whatever you normally do to work with Dr. R. When that DXL #12 acts up, then keep the robot on and your setup as is - do not reset power. But then switch to Manager tool to see if any error message is set for DXL 12. If no error, try to use different Goal Positions on DXL #12 at that time and see.

Sometimes, it is just a matter of those X3P cables that are connected to DXL #12 being loose temporarily, may be they got pulled temporarily during motion of Dr. R.

DXL #12 happens to carry the whole upper body of the robot, so it may be overloading? or getting hot?

The Engineer App on your mobile device has a tool to check the DXLs. Have you tried it yet at this link.

2XL430-W250 Hardware Error Status 32 Overload error
R+Task motion unit 12

As you can see Overload error occured for ID12 - then I unscrewed all screws (PHS M2×04) attached to ID9 actuator, lowering weight pressure for ID12 - in effect ID12 was responsive (see screen for R+Task 3.0 motion unit) and no error, then when I screwed all screws for ID9 again - Overload error showed up again.

First, to be clear, I am not a ROBOTIS employee, but I have used the Edutainment systems for a long time, so I am just helping out whenever I can.

Sorry, but I did not catch two “odd” things about your set up before:

1. Why are you using the “Custom Robot” layout while ROBOTIS provides the nice 3-D layout for Dr. R - as shown below?

1. And according to the previous screenshot, Servo ID-9 is located physically on Dr. R’s “head” mainly supporting a mobile phone. It is nowhere near Servo ID-12. So, I am not clear why loosening up the screws on ID-9 affect the functioning of ID-12.

Can you use the MOTION Tool in Sync Mode and with the 3D layout to make sure that every Servo is attached to its correct physical location as designed by ROBOTIS? I got a hunch that somehow perhaps some Servos IDs got mixed up?

Also if you wanted to create your own Motion Units from scratch, you can just choose “Empty File” for Dr. R: